Residency Determination

Students are classified as one of the following: 

  1. In-state (have lived in Arkansas). 
  2. Border state (have lived in Oklahoma, Missouri, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, or Texas) for at least six consecutive months prior to the beginning of the term for reasons other than attendance at UAFS. 
  3.  Out-of-state and international for the purpose of determining tuition by legal residence. 

The residency classification of a minor is the same as that of his or her parents or guardian unless the student is married or has otherwise established a separate legal residence. 


Military personnel assigned to active duty in Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, or Texas shall be accorded in-state status. Spouses and dependents of active duty personnel shall be accorded in-state status as well, provided they reside in the states noted above. 


Proof of Residency

State-supported colleges are required to collect documentary evidence of a student's permanent residency. Documentary evidence must be provided to support residency for "in-state" tuition for Arkansas and the surrounding border states of Oklahoma, Missouri, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas. If residency is in question or if you are seeking residency reclassification, you must submit documentary evidence. The requirement is six months permanent residency prior to the start of the semester for purposes other than attending college. If you do not provide the evidence to prove "in-state" residency, you will be classified as an "out-of-state" student for tuition purposes.


You must provide copies of any two acceptable forms of documentation from the following list.


  • Current permanent driver's license (at least six months old), bearing the address where you reside. Post office box addresses are not acceptable.

  • State automobile registration.

  • Statement from your employer indicating the date you were employed, length of service, and address where you reside.

  • Lease, which includes student's name and dates span six months minimum period.

  • Personal or real estate property tax statement from previous year.

  • Payment of state income tax.

  • Utility bills, dated to cover the six months immediately prior to the start of the semester, indicating the student's permanent address.