- BS-Dental Hygiene (PDF will open in new tab)
- Dental Hygiene-AAS to BS Dental Hygiene Online Completion (PDF will open in new tab)
- Other majors in the College of Health Sciences
The Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene will graduate students who serve as consumer advocates for oral healthcare. They are an integral part of the dental team, able to provide instruction and therapeutic services in the prevention of oral diseases. Students experience didactic, laboratory, and clinical education. Successful completion of the program prepares graduates for the written National Board Examination and the clinical dental hygiene examinations required for licensure to become a registered dental hygienist.
What can you do with a degree in Dental Hygiene?
- Private dental practices
- Dental supply and product companies
- Department of Health/public health
- Correctional facilities
- Insurance companies
Websites for Career Research
- The United States Department of Labor-Bureau of Labor Statistics
- O*NET Online
- What Can I Do with this Major?
- Visit the Discover Arkansas website for information on Arkansas careers.
(The student self-registration Access Code is: numa.)
Why should you choose to major in Dental Hygiene?
- Enter a health care profession that is dynamic and ever changing
- Be an advocate for dental health and overall health
- A rewarding profession as you educate the public presenting for school programs and public health events
- Develop lasting relationships using communication and interpersonal skills
- Competitive pay and flexible work hours
- Full-time or part-time opportunities available
- Job security in an ever-growing profession
- Opportunities for advancement and lifelong learning
Students can participate in:
- Community Service Projects
- Internships at local Community Dental Clinics and missions
- Participate in Sealant Projects to help children in need
- Present research projects at the American Dental Hygienist's Association National Convention
- Participate and educate in community health fairs
- Provide dental care for the underserved
- Attend Arkansas State Dental Hygiene Association meetings and network with other hygienists
- Learn to make whitening trays
- Oral Cancer Screenings
Special Application Procedures
Please see, the College of Health Science/Dental Hygiene web site for detailed listing of admission requirements.
- Application deadline for Dental Hygiene-fall class: May 20
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
- UAFS Undergraduate Research Symposium.
- Continuing education presentation for local dental professionals
- Table clinic competition for the Arkansas State Dental Hygiene Association
- Student American Dental Hygienists' Association
- State Dental Hygienist's Associations
- American Dental Hygienist's Association
Graduates are employed with:
- Lifestyle Dentistry
- Friddle Dentistry
- Ocean Dental
- Varner Family Dentist
- Many more!
The program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association.