System Requirements for Blackboard Learn
Recommended Operating Systems and Devices:
- Operating Systems:
- Windows 7, 8, or 10
- Mac OS X v10.8. 10.9, 10.10,
- Windows Mobile
- Chrome OS
- iOS Devices
- iPod Touch
- iPhone 4S, 5S, 5c, 6
- iPad 2, 3, Mini 3, Air 2
- Android Devices
- Galaxy S4, S5
- HTC G1
- LG C800 myTouch,
- HTC One, One M8
- Galaxy Note 2014
- Windows Mobile Devices
- Venue 8 Pro
- Lumia 520, 930
- Chrome OS Devices
- Chromebook (Chrome browser – However, features requiring NPAPI plug-ins are not supported)
Check the system requirements for the operating system and browser(s) on your computer. Requirements will be higher for newer browsers and operating systems.
Minimum hardware for video, sound, Internet connection, etc.
- Mouse, keyboard, or laptop touch pad
- Monitor with minimum Super VGA (800 x 600) resolution. 1024 x 768 or higher recommended
- Sound Card and Speakers
- Minimum broadband connection (cable or DSL).
- CD-ROM and/or DVD readable drive, or USB ports and drives
Recommend computer hardware for video and sound
- A webcam with a built-in microphone
- A computer/USB microphone, if your webcam does not have a microphone
- A laptop or mobile device with a camera and microphone
- Apple Safari – 9+ (MacOS only), 11+ (iOS)
- Google Chrome* – 49+
- Microsoft Edge* – 20+
- Mozilla Firefox – 48+
Internet Explorer is no longer supported.
*Google Chrome versions 42 and above and Microsoft Edge do not support NPAPI-type plug-ins, including Java and many media browser plug-ins. Any embedded media requiring these plug-ins will not work in these browsers.
- Apple Safari - 11+
- Google Chrome - 54+
- Microsoft Edge
- Mozilla Firefox - 55+*
*Some earlier versions of Firefox will work in a limited way.
Note: If you have an unsupported browser or a dial-up Internet connection, you will have difficulties running Blackboard courses.
Students can check to see if their Web browser is supported by Blackboard by clicking the link below:
Supported Mobile Technology
Students can download the Blackboard (Student) app for iOS, Android, and Windows mobile devices. The app should be a free download for UAFS students on each of these platforms.
- Java (JRE) versions 7 or 8 are recommended.
UAFS recommends the following applications for online classes:
- Microsoft Word
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Microsoft PowerPoint or PowerPoint Viewer (for Web-enhanced courses)
- VLC Media Player
Blackboard recommends the following screen reader combinations:
- For Windows systems – Mozilla Firefox with the JAWS screen reader
- For Mac systems – Apple Safari with the VoiceOver screen reader