Online Teaching and Learning
Online teaching and learning has become more popular in recent years because many instructors and students have seen the tangible benefits. A report (PDF will open in new tab) by the U.S. Department of Education demonstrates the effectiveness of distance/online learning for students in today’s environment.
Teaching and learning can be challenging, but the benefits are worth the efforts.
The following are benefits of online learning for students:
- Allows 24/7 access to the course materials
- Accommodates different learning styles
- Allows students to monitor their own learning progress and to evaluate their own learning results
- Provides an opportunity to review the course material if necessary
- Allows more interaction between classmates and instructors via chat rooms and discussion groups
- Reduces or eliminates travel time to and from campus
- Allows students to enroll in courses when they cannot come to the campus due to scheduling conflicts
The following are benefits of online teaching for faculty:
- Reduces workload by reusing course content and multimedia
- Allows faculty to monitor student progress through a tracking system
- Assists in determining which students need help and the type of help they need by analyzing quizzes and test results
- Creates opportunities to spend additional time with individual students needing assistance