Parent Resources

We know that as your son or daughter makes the transition from high school to UAFS you want to help them succeed.


Parents play a key role in helping their son or daughter make a smooth transition to a higher education environment. While a parent's role may change when their son or daughter goes to college, we hope that the information available here will answer some questions, ease some concerns and allow you to encourage your child to take an active role in securing academic accommodations.


To help you in this effort, we are providing answers to frequently asked questions that parents pose regarding their son or daughter’s college experience.


My student has been admitted to the University. What should she/he do now?

A first time college student needs to attend a New Student Orientation (NSO); the NSO registration form can be filled out and submitted via My.UAFS.  To do so, they will need their user name, password, and student ID number that can be found on the acceptance paperwork.

Students who are not first-time entering (transfer, returning) may contact the Advising Center at 479-788-7400 to find out whom they should contact about the next steps. Please keep in mind that advisors cannot disclose information from a student’s account to someone over the phone, but they are able to provide general information, such as who advises which major.


How can I get access to my student’s grades, class schedule or other university information?

Due to Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) restrictions, no one except the student (upon providing verification of their identity) may request information about their student’s academic progress, financial aid information, enrollment information, grades, etc. The University requires written permission from a student before any of its officials can release the student’s information to a designated third party. 

For more information on FERPA, please see the FERPA website.


My student has been hospitalized, who should I contact about her/his classes?

If your student is able, she/he should communicate to their assigned advisor and instructors that they are not able to attend class as soon as possible. The student needs to provide documentation of hospitalization or treatment upon returning to classes.

If your student is unable to communicate to university officials or unable to contact his/her advisor or instructors, you may contact the Registrar at 479-788-7407. Although University officials cannot disclose any information about a student’s academic records (classes, instructor names, etc.) to a third party (such as a parent or guardian), the Registrar’s Office can inform a student’s instructors on the student’s behalf in such cases.


What is an advisor? Why should my student visit with an advisor?

An advisor:

  • Helps students learn about degree requirements, college policies, and procedures.
  • Assists students in selecting courses which will satisfy degree requirements, fit his/her strengths, and contribute to his/her career and personal goals.
  • Is available throughout the semester to help your student solve academic problems when possible and obtain the assistance of others when necessary.
  • Discusses any problems that affect their academic performance.
  • Helps your student with long term planning, decides courses in upcoming semesters and plans toward graduation.
  • Helps your student add or drop courses (during the semester, this must be done in person with valid photo ID).
  • Discusses academic progress.
  • Helps your student find or change their major.

Where will my student be advised?

Students that are in all college level course work that have declared a bachelors degree or certificate will be advised by a faculty member in the college of their major.

Students will be advised the Advising Center if they meet any of the following criteria:

  • They are required to enroll in developmental courses
  • They have declared an associate’s degree, to include AAS in Surgical Technology, Radiography, Early Childhood Education and Criminal Justice, AA, or AGS
  • They are non-degree seeking
  • They are transient students (students who are taking courses at UAFS during the summer that they intend to transfer back to their university)
  • They are lifelong learners

Why would my student be required to take a developmental course?

Students are required to take standardized tests that help determine whether or not they are prepared for college level course work. If the student does not achieve a score on the ACT, SAT or COMPASS exams that places them into a college level course such as ENGL 1203 Composition I or MATH 1403 College Algebra, then they are required to take developmental courses that will prepare them for the courses they will need on their degree program. Subjects offered at the developmental level include reading, writing, and math.


How can my student find out his/her grades?

Students can see their midterm and final grades in My.UAFS. To view or print midterm or final grades in My.UAFS:

  • Click “Student Services and Financial Aid (BSS)"
  • Click “Student Records”
  • Select either “Midterm” or "Final Grades”
  • Select “Term”(i.e. Fall 2013)
  • Click “Submit”

If your student wants to know his/her grade before midterm grades post and/or before final grades post, he/she can:

  • Use the syllabus from the course and their grades on assignments in the course to find their grade, or
  • Contact the instructor of the course for help calculating their current grade.

What resources does UAFS provide my student to help him/her succeed in classes?

Students have a variety of helpful sources available at campus.

What is an Academic Early Alert (AEA)?

An academic alert provides feedback on their academic progress in an individual course. UAFS faculty are concerned about your student’s success in their course and the AEA notifies the student that they might need additional help. A potential problem is identified and action steps are included to resolve the issue.

 Possible reasons for an academic alert include the following: excessive absences or tardiness that might affect success, missing assignments, poor performance on tests or quizzes, or poor performance in the class. The faculty may also provide recommendations of support services and actions that lead to success.

Students who receive an alert should immediately contact their instructor or their advisor to discuss and possibly resolve the concern.



Is campus housing safe? How much will it cost? Other questions about student housing?

Frequently asked questions, applications, and contact and general information about student housing are available here.


How much will school cost?

The cost of tuition and fees are subject to change throughout the academic year as determined necessary by the university’s Board of Trustees. However, to find out the current cost of tuition/fees, you can contact the university Cashier’s Office at: 479-788-7060.

For questions about costs and financial aid, please see the Financial Aid Office website, or contact the Financial Aid office at 479-788-7090.


What are my student’s financial aid requirements?

Student should contact the Financial Aid office for specific questions about their financial aid requirements. General information about Financial Aid.


When do I need to pay for my student’s tuition and fees?

Payment is due BEFORE classes begin, usually a few weeks before each term begins. For a nominal fee, students have the option of setting up an installment plan for tuition, fees, and books (if books are purchased through the university’s bookstore) during the fall and spring semesters. Installment plans are not available in summer.  View the Registration Calendar for exact dates and deadlines.


My student has special needs. Who can we contact about this?

UAFS makes every effort to offer equal educational opportunities for all students. To ensure a total university experience for students with disabilities, we seek to provide reasonable accommodations and services for students who have a physical, emotional, or learning disability. The underlying philosophy of the program is to provide support, where possible, that will maximize each student’s opportunities for the academic success.  More information is available on their website ADA Services.

Students who qualify for assistance under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), may present validation of their disability and request services by contact the advisor for students with disabilities, Roger Young. Mr. Young may be reached at: 479-788-7577.


Helpful links: