University of Arkansas Fort Smith is committed to allowing individuals with disabilities the use of a service or assistance animal on campus to facilitate their full participation and equal access to the University’s programs and activities. This policy explains the specific procedures and requirements applicable to an individual’s use of a service animal or assistance animal.
This policy also applies to students and guests participating in summer conferences or New Student Orientation (Mane Event), and other short term guests (i.e. local interns). Students and conference guests must follow the process outlined in this policy. This must occur at least 10 business days prior to the start of the conference, orientation, or move-in.
Students wishing to utilize a service or assistance animal on campus should contact Student ADA Services at 479-788-7577.
SERVICE ANIMALS IN PUBLIC AREAS
Students who require the assistance of a Service Animal in classrooms or other public places on campus should follow the steps outlined below.
- The student should first meet with the ADA Coordinator for an intake meeting. This meeting may be scheduled by calling 479-788-7577, emailing email@example.com, or going to Vines 210.
- The student will need to provide current vaccination records for the animal. If additional services are needed, bring documentation outlining these services as well as described in (Disability Verification).
- Absent extraordinary circumstances, only one Service Animal will be approved per student.
If you have any additional questions, you may send an email to or call (479) 788-7577.
SERVICE ANIMALS OR ASSISTANCE ANIMALS IN RESIDENTIAL HOUSING
Students planning to bring a Service Animal or Assistance Animal (Emotional Support Animal) to residential areas of UAFS are required to follow the steps outlined below in order to obtain an exception from the UAFS “no pets” policy. 10 DAY MINIMUM APPROVAL POLICY
- The student must first meet with the ADA Coordinator for an intake meeting. This may be scheduled by calling 479-788-7577, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or going to Vines 210. This meeting will consist of understanding the student’s disability and the need for a Service Animal or Assistance Animal in residential areas, and ensuring the student knows the policy and procedures. The student will receive a copy of the policy and all necessary documents that must be completed and returned. ( PDF will open in a new tab)
- The student will gather the required information, completed documentation, and schedule another meeting with the ADA Coordinator. Remember, no animal may be present in any residential area of campus until the entire process is complete.
- If approved by the ADA Coordinator, the student will next schedule a meeting with the Resident Director of their facility. The student may do this by emailing email@example.com or going to the UAFS Housing Office located at Sebastian Commons.
- Absent extraordinary circumstances, only one animal will be approved per student.
- Ordinarily, unless directed and needed otherwise, an approved Service Animal or Assistance Animal may not be present in residential areas of campus until 10 business days have passed after it has been approved by UAFS Housing and Residential Life.
If you have any additional questions, you may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (479) 788-7577.