The Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene will graduate students who serve as consumer advocates for oral healthcare. They are an integral part of the dental team, able to provide instruction and therapeutic services in the prevention of oral diseases. Students experience didactic, laboratory, and clinical education. Successful completion of the program prepares graduates for the written National Board Examination and the clinical dental hygiene examinations required for licensure to become a registered dental hygienist.
What can you do with a degree in Dental Hygiene?
- Private dental practices
- Dental supply and product companies
- Department of Health/public health
- Correctional facilities
- Insurance companies
Websites for Career Research
- The United States Department of Labor-Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Discover Arkansas
- O*NET Resource Center
- What Can I Do with this Major?
(The student self-registration Access Code is: numa.)
Why should you choose to major in Dental Hygiene?
- UAFS is a host site for the Southern Regional Testing Agency.
- Enter a health care profession that is dynamic and challenging.
- Experience a rewarding career as you teach patients how to maintain good oral health.
- Enjoy optimal working conditions and hours.
- Choose to work full-time or part-time.
Special Application Procedures
Please see, the College of Health Science/Dental Hygiene web site for detailed listing of admission requirements.
- Application deadline for Dental Hygiene-fall class: May 20
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
- UAFS Undergraduate Research Symposium.
- Research Presentation in a Table Clinic Format at the Arkansas State Dental Association Annual Meeting in Little Rock, AR.
- Research Presentation in a Table Clinic Format to the Fort Smith dental community each spring.
- Student American Dental Hygienists' Association www.adha.org
Graduates are employed with:
- My Dentist
- Friddle Dentistry
- Ocean Dental
- Aspen Dental
- Dental Health of Fianna
- Criswell Family Dentistry
- Many more!
The program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association.