The Center for Student Professional Development (CSPD) at UAFS provides career preparation programs and services which give students a competitive edge in obtaining internships and securing employment. By providing career preparation workshops and networking opportunities, the center helps students develop a professional portfolio of skills and attributes that are sought by area, regional and national employers.
To participate in the workshops and sessions hosted by the CSPD and pursue the Distinction in Professional Development Certificate, students complete a CSPD application and meet the requirements for the Student Professional Development program.
Student Professional Development Program Requirements
|Requirements||CSPD Program Participant|
Business: Accepted into UAFS College of Business and enrolled in or completed MGMT 2863
BAS and BSOL: Enrolled in BAS or BSOL classes
All other participating majors: Junior level status
|Major||Enrolled in classes in a participating major|
|GPA Requirement||Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50 at time of program application|
Distinction in Professional Development Certificate
The Distinction in Professional Development Certificate consists of professional development workshops and events that program participants are required to attend. Workshops are offered every spring and fall semesters and are presented by business leaders and professionals with expertise in the topic covered. There are two level of certificates, Silver Level and Gold Level, each having specific requirements.
The Silver Level Certificate is awarded to students who successfully fulfill the requirements of the program, which includes participating in the mandatory sessions and events, as well as meeting the academic requirements. There are 12 required sessions and events as shown below. Members must also participate in various events, successfully complete the requirements of the workshops and meet the academic requirements to receive the certificate. The CSPD calendar is updated every semester with detailed information about the workshops and sessions. The awarding of certifications takes place at CSPD's Awards Banquet at the end of each semester.
- CSPD Orientation
- Basic Resume Writing
- Interview Skills
- Creating a Career Action Plan
- Complete a Career Assessment/StrengthsQuest
- Utilizing LinkedIn in Your Job Search
- Networking 101/Creating an Elevator Speech
- Two (2) Student Option Sessions
Senior Level Required Workshops:
- Have a 2.75 cumulative GPA upon completion of degree
- Establish a CSPD ePortfolio
- Attend at least 2 Career Fairs:
Attend at least 1 during senior year
- Attend at least 4 "Corporate Mixer/Information Sessions"
Attend at least 1 per semester in senior year
To achieve the Gold Level Professional Development Certificate students must successfully complete the requirements for the Silver Level Professional Development Certificate
Successfully complete an internship in field of study for academic credit;
Participate in two (2) of the following activities:
- Successfully complete a faculty approved research project
- Successfully complete a MayMester in an approved environment
- Present or compete in an organizational regional/state/national competition
- Complete 15 hours in an approved campus organization leadership project(s)
- Complete 15 hours in an approved community service leadership activity